Sunday, April 5, 2015

Awesome goal yesterday

Yesterday Dallin scored his 2nd goal.  Making it 2 goals in 2 games.  I didn't get to photograph it because I was sucked in to what was taking place.  The ball was about 1000 feet in the air and I watched as Dallin and about 3 other players all had their eyes on it, poised to head the ball.  Dallin wanted it the most.  He jumped the highest and got his head on the ball, perfectly timed, sending it to the bottom right corner of the goal.

I watched his face.  He was SOOO HAPPY.  Even today he said to me, "You know how when you do something so great, you just can't stop believing you did it?"  So cute, so innocent, so true. 

I am so happy that happened for him.

I told him, "You need to thank your coach in VA for that goal."  Dallin asked why and the answer I gave is why I'm blogging tonight.

The team Dallin played with in VA was a great team, coached by a great man.  Dallin was 1 of 2 players pulled up from his "B" team to play with this "A" team last year.  Before the season started with his new team, he broke his leg and the repercussions were significant.  He was slow.  Clumsy.  Played carefully ( aka not aggressively.)  He pretty much benched his first season on his new team.  And I couldn't blame the coach for benching him. 

Spring season had Dallin continuing with this team and much stronger.  His leg was perfectly healed and he was back to his old self.  However he continued to bench.  Even when fellow players were having off games, he still benched.  One game he played 6 minutes.  He scored a goal then was removed from the field.

I couldn't understand it and Dallin grew frustrated. 

My first impulse was to approach his coach and share my concerns.  My 2nd impulse was to approach my son and make the best out of the situation.

I went with plan 2.  I let him know I understood his frustrations and then made a game plan for him.

"Dallin, you're going to have to work harder than the rest of the team to prove yourself to your coach that you are not a bench warmer.  Just "move up the bench" sorta speak."

I thought, "rather than 'fight this battle for or even with Dallin, let Dallin fight it by himself."  Because lots more would come out of it. 

So Dallin worked on his skills.  He was always in the back yard juggling, shooting, dribbling in between toys and rocks.  He simply knew he had to out perform his team mates if he wanted to play.

Fast forward to yesterday.  New town, new team, new coach.  The soccer here is actually a level above VA soccer.  I think it's because here the team practices year round.  My kids can't join them year round as they participate in other sports, but that's fine.  Pushes them more during the season.

Dallin played 95% of the game as both a defender and offensive player.  He played strong, hard, and the header showed me he was fine to try "new things" on the field.  Love it!

He had to push himself in VA.  Harder than the rest of the team actually.

I'm so glad I didn't take matters in to my own hands.  So glad we decided to put matters into Dallin's hands and figure things out for himself.  By doing so, it's made him a stronger player and when it comes down to it, a stronger person too.

No comments:

Post a Comment