Thursday, October 26, 2017

ACL ... blessings!

It's been a while.  Too long!  Lots has happened in our home over the past few months.

We had a family friend, Joe, stay with us for about 3 months.  That was seriously so fun.  He's 18, so an older brother to the kids.  He took this role nicely and actually helped to make the house even happier.  The kids all loved him here and when he left, there were some heavy hearts.  Mine included.  He went back to VA to be with his peeps, but the time here was priceless.  Love you Joe!!

4 weeks ago I had surgery to give me a new ACL (which I had torn playing bball a couple of years ago) and to fix my meniscus. 

If any of you reading this has a jacked up knee and needs surgery to fix it ... DO IT!  Here's why.
20 years ago I did the same thing to my left knee playing soccer.  I blew out my knee completely.  Had what people call the "unhappy triade."  It sucked.  Surgery sucked.  Physical therapy was forever.  I had crutches for weeks, a brace for months, and I had chewed through half my bottle of pain killers before I was able to go to regular Tylenol.

It was a nightmare.

So when I found myself in the surgery center, cap and gown, ready to have another go at it (my other knee this time) I was ... floored.  How'd I get myself back into this again???  And a bit frustrated knowing the road to recovery would be long and arduous.  But I had to do it.  I even felt compelled to get my knee fixed.

My last memory was walking with the nurse to the operating room, seeing the anesthesiologist and 2 nurses, and my "bed."  It oddly felt like going to execution table.  I laid in the bed, freezing.  That room is an ice box.  Last thing I heard a nurse say was, "we'll get you warm."

Then it was, "the surgery is over Erika."

I had some weird reaction I remember.  I was rhythmically slamming my arms down beside myself, then fold them across my chest, then slam them down again.  I can remember that.  And I couldn't stop. 

They gave me Benadryhl.  SOOO random!  Benadryhl. Apparently it worked though.

ANYWAYS!

Long story short.  It's 4 weeks today from my surgery.  Guess what I did today?  I went on a 6 mile bike ride and did a short pilates workout.  And I can bend my knee so that my heel can ALMOST touch my bum and straighten my leg to where the back of my knee HITS the floor.  Oh, and I only had 3 painkillers the entire time!

CRAZY!

I'm walking not only without a brace, but almost without a limp!!

Night and day from 20 years ago!

Point I'm making is ... medical technology has improved by leaps and bounds over the past 20 years ago!  When I went in for my post op, my doctor basically told me that if I were to resume my regular activities (running, bball, soccer, racquetball, etc) I would need a total knee replacement in about 20 years.

Bring.  It.  ON!  In 20 years it'll either be the 2nd Coming anyways or if not, a knee replacement will entail a dab of lavender essential oils or some quick sprinkling of glitter or something.

So.  If you need an ACL repair and aren't really wanting to.  Do it.  You'll be sooo glad you did!  Big girl is gonna be back to playing some big girl bball in a few months!!!  I can't WAIT!

Lets see.  What else besides the knee?

Kids are doing great.  Gosh I love being a mom.  Repeat, I love being a mom.  I didn't say "I rock being a mom" nor did I say, "Being a mom is easy" or "I finally figured out my role as a mom" or anything along those lines.  I just love my kids.  They're all so different, all so funny.  All so freaking head strong.  I'm not here to mother them.  They hardly listen to me.  I'm just here tell them everything I know, make sure they know how to clean, remind them to brush their teeth, and hug them.

I drop them off to school and they do their thing.  And I simply pray that they ... make decisions that will make the world a better place for all those who meet them.

Gideon does this.  Every single day. 

You know what I dislike?  When people refer to Gideon as having problems, being handicapped, special needs.  I'm not being overly sensitive.  Heck, people can say "retarded" around me and it doesn't phase me in the least.

Because I literally see Gideon as nothing but great.  Just like I see all my kids.  They're great.  ALL have imperfections, but all are great.  Gideon has his greatness and his imperfections in different areas than the rest of the kids.  But at the same times, my oldest has his greatness and imperfections in different areas than the rest of the kids.

Do you see the point I'm trying to make? 

Gideon may not kick a ball as hard as his brothers, but he can make a room erupt in laughter faster than anyone else.  That's why I feel like Gideon most perfectly completes our family.  It's like, every single gap is filled with him.  He softens his siblings like no other.  His siblings make him scream and race through the house like no other.  If there's ANY yelling in the house, Gideon cries and everyone rushes over to comfort him.  It turns into a laugh fest.

OK, I'm getting super tired.  I'm working on a quilt now.  I can't WAIT to see it done!  It's going to a dear friend in VA.  I can't wait for her to get it.  It's gonna be the biggest quilt I've ever made.  I love this lady so much.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment