Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yellow

Where ever I go and whatever I'm doing, it's a guanantee that I will be surrounded by my children. I don't know what it is! I could be seperating croutons with tweezers and my children would choose to be with me over a trip to Disney Land with Barney! The silver lining in my state of child claustrophobia is one, I always know where my children are and two, I get to hear what they talk about and believe me, conversation between children is more entertaining than anything Hollywood can come up with. Today my 4 year old and my 3 year old were singing a song frequently sung by my 11 year old. "Black and yellow, black and yellow". I don't even know if that's really a song. But it IS sung in my home. My 3 year old's version: "Black an yeh-youh, black an yeh-youh!" He was promptly interrupted by his older sister, "It's not YEH-youh, it's LEH-low!" He repeated slowly, "yeh-youh" only to be corrected with the slower, more pronounced, "LEHHH-low." She corrected with so much confidence, so much direction, and so much heart, that I continued washing my dishes, careful to not interrupt their time together. They could both learn, later on in life, the correct way to say 'yellow.' And I got to thinking. How many times have I found myself in a similar situation as my daughter? I want so badly for my 6 year old to love soccer. In my opinion, it's the perfect sport. I played in high school and college and the reason I did was because quite simply, it's the best sport out there. Yet when my 6 year old spends her day dancing, twirling, and singing, could I be wrong in my initial desires? I desire that my children feel stronger loyalties to eachother, so after family prayers, they are required to hug one another. You'd think they were in straight jackets when they "embrace." Am I teaching them how to be loyal to each other by saying "LEH-low?" Quite frankly, I do not know. But it is with heart, and my love for my children, that I guide them the way I do. And it's the only way I know how to guide. And just because I may be a little in how I guide them, doesn't mean I stop trying to guide them. YEH-yough, LEH-low, yellow. In the end, it all works out. As long as we keep on trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment