Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How I love to mow!

OK, this isn't all about me and mowing. But can I just say, I love to mow! It's so peaceful, just the hum of the mower, and taking down the scraggly grass in one effortless swipe. Plus, no one can TECHNICALLY bother me. No, it doesn't totally dissuade the kids from coming to me and needing me, but it does at least temporarily prevent them. I love my kids, and I enjoy my alone time.

Yes, I think it's important to teach kids to mow and what not, but when I mow, the kids are taking care of Sadie and doing other such "productive" things. There's no sin in having a mom with older kids mow the yard.

Sooo, the other day I noticed the skies and the skies were bringing in quite the storm. But my yard needed to be mowed. The big kids were all at school and Sadie did NOT have on her agenda, "Be put down." So I jimmy rigged a sitter. I put her outside in the back on the patio in her little bouncer where I could mow at a safe distance from her. Doing so would allow me to both watch her and she'd be entertained by the hum of the mower. However I had to run into the garage to grab the mower. I took the mower out, started it, and began to "mow" my way to the back. As soon as I started to walk to the back, the skies simply opened up and dumped rain. I quickly turned off the mower, ran it back to the garage, then sprinted through the house to get Sadie. Who was outside. In her seat. Totally. Exposed. To the RAIN!

If I could I would have taken a photo of what I saw. Owen was outside with Sadie, totally bent over her, trying to shield her from the rain. It was impossible to effectively do it, so the rain was getting her pretty well, so she was screaming and there's Owen, bent over her, saying as calm as ever, "Mommy's comin Sadie! Mommy's comin!" Then w/o looking up, I don't think he even saw me, Owen yells, "Mom, Sadie doesn't like DIS!"

I treasure Owen's love for his baby sister. Ever since I was about 7 mos pregnant, Owen was so preoccupied with her. He's forever hugging her, begging to snuggle with her, running over to her just to look at her, then running off. It's priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment