Saturday, May 30, 2015

He's 13 today!

Wow, can't believe he's 13!  It was yesterday that he was born.  His birth marked the start of "no more epidurals" for me.  After he was born, around 5AM, I remember holding him then saying to Matt, "you better take him."  I passed out right then and there and woke up later on that day, only to learn that he was in the NICU because he had quit breathing 3 different times and had to be resuscitated.  They found absolutely nothing wrong with him.  I KNEW it was because of my epidural.  Laboring and delivering Colby with the epidural was a nightmare.  Dallin's experience made that nightmare seem like a daydream, so I committed to never have another epidural again.

This experience totally typifies who Dallin is today.  Anytime he's hit with a challenge, he takes it head on and comes out on top. Every. Time!

He was born clubfoot.  Had to have surgery to correct it. He quickly learned how to walk anyways, so early that funny-not-so-funny-more-dumb-than-anything-else people would ask, "oh, does he want to be a ballerina?"  I guess it's funnier now.  He had to have surgery and quickly figured out walking again, only this time casted.  Nothing kept that boy down!

Today he's no different.  I love it! 

He's such an easy kid to raise.  Obedient, eager to please, ready to get done what needs to be done (maybe so he can BE DONE)  :)  He does great in school, excels in sports, and makes friends with the neatest of kids!  I love his humor.  The other day, a crazy old lady (like for reals, cah-RAY-zee) approached him and Colby whilst they were kicking the soccer ball in the field.  It got near her dogs and she said, "I will kill you if you hurt my dogs!  I will put your head on a plate!"  Dallin said to Colby and me later on, in a very "preacher preaching" type voice, "that lady needs the GOSPEL in her life!"  then started giggling at his own joke.  Once an old man cussed me out while he was biking and I was driving and as soon as he biked away, Dallin started laughing sooo hard.  He thought it was the funniest thing ever!

I'm thinking only crazy old people live here.

One thing that's never mentioned about him is his love for instruments.  He plays the clarinet but when we moved here, switched to the bass clarinet.  He's taught himself how to play the saxophone now and is playing around on my flute.  That's my mom's dad coming out in him.  He was quite the musician.  I see that in Dallin, too.

He still has plans to be an MLS player.  He could do it.  He's mentally very strong.  A few years ago, when I asked him "what's your plan 'B' if that doesn't work out?" he said, "No plan B, cuz that means I might not do it."  Now, however, he does have a plan 'B'.  Lawyer.  Not sure where that came from, but we'll see where that goes. 

I love my chats with him.  I love listening to his plans, I love laughing at his jokes.  I love his random hugs he gives me.  A little while ago I mentioned to the kids the importance of saying thanks and showing gratitude.  Now he's always thanking me.  I love his humility in accepting guidance and putting it into action.  I love his motivation, how he just doesn't let negative things get the best of him. 

I'm so blessed to be his mom.  He makes me look like I know what I'm doing as a parent.  Quite honestly, anyone could parent him.  He's such a good person.  He'd make any parent look like they know what they're doing.  I just get to be the lucky one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment