Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Ummm, personal question..."

Matt and I go on a date every single week. Occasionally we can't, but NORMALLY, about 90% of the time, we go out every single week. I was advised as a young mother, "Take time for each other. Date each other. Once a week. Leave the kids behind for 4 hours and enjoy each other. You'll either spend money for babysitters and dinners, or later on, for divorce lawyers or marriage counselors." I'd so rather eat a taco than pay an attorney's trip to Europe.

Anyways.

Yesterday we went to BW3. "Buffalo Wild Wings." The place should be called "Barf-alo Crap Wings" if you ask me. Don't waste your calories there. We had a 25 minute wait, so we meandered over to the furniture store. Just to browse.

Super nice sales lady. Wanda. I know they work for commission, so they're all nice, but you could tell by her easy chit chat and not forced smile that she was sincerely a nice lady. We were looking at bunk beds and said to each other, "we need to get 2 sets for the boys." This of course led to Wanda asking, "How many children do you have?"

We always look at each other before answering this question. I don't know why. Whenever anyone asks, we glance at each other, then both look at the person, say 7, then subconsciounsouly (sp? Killer word) sit back and prepare for the onslaught.

Wanda's face went from happy smiley to confusion. She looked at me. Then at Matt, then back at me. She looked at my legs, Matt's full head of hair, back to my gut, then finally made eye contact with me. Then eye contact with Matt. She squared her shoulders, cocked her head, and said, "Ummmm, can I ask you a personal question?"

There is no question I won't answer. Really. I ask the most nosey questions of all ~ I should've been a reporter ~ so quite honestly, I welcome any and all questions.



"Did you have them all together? Or did he have some, you have some, and you just got married with them all?"

"All together. Married, one month later got pregnant, and just never stopped" was Matt's answer.

"He just can't keep his hands off me!" was my follow up answer.

Wanda laughed and laughed and said, "Well, that's GOOD thing! It's time to worry when they WANT to keep their hands off ya!"

We've had this exact same question before. People wondering if we're a "yours, mine, and ours" family. You can't blame them. None of the kids look a like. We look more like a, "your's, mine, his, his, that guy over there, him, and ours" family anyways.

And you know what? I love the question, because I love the answer I can give. In a society where divorce is rampant, I think it's nice to let people know that families CAN be solid. It's not a thing of the past. It is possible. And it is beautiful. And I think if more people saw it, they'd see that it was something worth working for.

Matt and I have had our struggles. Don't get me wrong. We argue, we fight. Jess has asked, "Are you breaking up with Dad?" a number of times. I always tell her, "No Jess, I'd never break up with Dad because I love Dad and he loves me. We're just disagreeing, but it's OK."

And yes, they do see us kiss and make-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment