Friday, April 27, 2012

Working girl

So I had this amazing epiphany last week. I am a stay home mom. It's been my full-time job everyday, all day, week long, month long, for the past 11 plus years. Stay home mommy-ing has been hard for me. The adjustment was rough and quite frankly, it's the hardest thing, job-wise, out there. Most men can't do it. They crack after a couple of hours. Many times, I couldn't do it and would have some serious "cry outs" to cope. However, as I grow more and more into myself, I've enjoyed more and more my role as stay home mom. I love my kids, I get to spend every waking minute with them, and it's a good thing. Even a blessed thing. Sooo, the other day, as I was saying, I had this super idea. I was going to shower just like Matt does. Matt works. Like, he actually gets up, gets ready, and leaves for work. I work, but really, I don't even have to brush my teeth for my co-workers. My co-workers are more concerned about worms in the yard and avoiding baths. Anyways, I decided to shower. Before work. Of course, you can't be showered and pretty and then put on frumpy clothes, so I went shopping and spent $150 on me, myself, and I. I NEVER EVER NEVER buy myself clothes. But my new job required it. One of the things I bought was a jean skirt from GoodWill. It was longer, but I loved the fit around my large marge bum and thighs. The idea hit me to "alter" the skirt. I'd cut it and sew some lace around the hem and it'd be cute. Cuz I am now a changed, "cute" mom. I took the skirt home, cut it, sewed some lace around the hem, and put it on. And when I bent over to pick up my sewing scraps, the air up my back side told me I was mooning the world. I had just sewn a hootchi skirt. And hootchi is not part of MY job description. Anyways, long story short, I noticed my curtains in the bathroom. Nasty, old people curtains. But the hem of the curtains, I noticed, had cute, embroidered edging. So I took the curtains down, cut the bottoms of it and sewed it to my hootchi skirt. It worked! Sorta. My skirt is cuter than fat-girl stretch pants anyways. The other day, as I was digging through my dresser for pants to wear, Angela came up behind me and said, as I gingerly tapped my sweat pants, "Mom, remember, you're gonna be pretty mom now." So I closed the drawer, got out my new jeans, ripped the tags out of my new shirt, and properly got ready for work. I have to admit, I sorta like it!

1 comment:

  1. Putting a distinct purpose to waking up each morning makes getting up easier and more fulfilling. Looking forward to every day is an awesome idea. I might just pass the word along to the Mrs....

    ReplyDelete